As the threat of ransomware continues to grow preventative measures in mitigating an organisation’s risk need to keep pace.
You may find the following checklist useful for assisting you to avoid a ransomware attack or minimise the impact.
- Ensure that employees are actively engaged in an education program, including identifying symptoms of a ransomware virus and initial steps.
- Develop a detailed cyber incident response plan.
- Test and revise your cyber incident response plan regularly.
- Make certain that IT personnel perform regular back-ups and verify the integrity of them. Ideally back-ups should not be connected to the computers and networks that are being backed-up (for example; offsite or cloud back-up)
- Make certain that IT personnel have a rigorous vulnerability, patch management process and consider regular testing.
- Understand the cover provided by your cyber insurance policy.
- Understand how and which of your insurance policies might be triggered in a ransomware attack.
- Understand whether there are circumstances under which you may pay ransom and whether you have the methods in place to make such a payment.
- Have contacts with local law enforcement.